Monday 10 August 2015

A Psalm to the God who always treats me better than I deserve

I've long toyed with the idea of starting a series of psalms of Chinedu.  After all,  like David, I'm a man after God's heart. But waking up this morning to the harsh reality of my loss inspired this psalm. I'm particularly happy that I started writing it even before I got the call. I pray it ministers to you like it did me.

A psalm written 10 August 2015 when Chinedu realised that she had forgotten her projector at a public venue with huge human traffic and consequent potential for being stolen. 

Jolted from sleep with the sad realization that I had once again failed-unlike all the 'together' people who always remember to return with whatever they went out with. 
I had once again forgotten something and it was a big thing
None would sympathize, lest of all hubby
I imagine his huge eyes opening wide, a mix of anger and irritation (how can anyone be this forgetful?)  They say.

But none can say it harsher than me-even I am upset with me!  How  can I be this careless and Forgetful? 
Why did I not deploy any of the tactics I had learned to help with this bad habit?
I could have set a reminder,  asked to be physically reminded by hubby who is so much more careful than I am,  returned it to my car immediately after its use...
So many wise things I could have done but didn't.
Worse still,  how come I only remembered 24 hours After? Even after being Prompted yesterday to bring it? 

All these and more I pondered,  heart racing like Usain Bolt
Gripped with dread
For bleak are the chances of retrieving a valuable item in a Lagos event center.
Someone 'smarter' would have  made away with it, selling it without thinking twice,
Yet Lord, it was for your cause I took it out and was I not carried away with providing counsel to the a young man as you directed? Yet again for your Course? 
I remembered with pain the sacrifice I had made just to purchase it, for me a sign of my entry into the world of consulting.

But, you Lord still my heart.  You remind me of countless times you've delivered me-
When my mind completely blanked out in examination halls and I left dashes for you to fill. The A's are are proof positive of your deliverance.
When I forgot to switch off the electric cooker and went out but you caused Nepa* to stay off and did not allow my home to be burned down. 
When I lost tickets into a paid event and worried myself silly about losing my money& having to pay an exhobitant price for tickets at prime rates but you caused for there to be an alternative
Many times too numerous to mention When I've forgotten my phone but you caused for it to be seen by good people
When I forgot my bag with my wallet full of dollars at an event center,  you ensured that not even a dollar missed

Many times when deep in my heart I've felt deserving of the worst possible treatment, 
Expected evil because really,  by all standards I had failed. It was my fault! Perhaps it would teach me a lesson,  help me buck up, stop being so darned forgetful.
But you o Lord, have not treated me as I have deserved
You've not responded to me according to the foolishness of my actions.
You've been better to me than I've been to myself

And yes, I know I should get my act together,  be less forgetful, more mindful...
Still,  I must thank you God. I must say a psalm to the God who ALWAYS TREATS ME BETTER THAN I DESERVE. Who knows my frailties, yet always looks at me with loving eyes, not disdane and o what joy filled my heart with the call-Uzor found your projector. Makes my heart say:  bless the Lord, o my soul!

Men may feel I deserve punishment,  perhaps it would teach me a lesson,  I too feel that way sometimes but thanks be to the most high, the most merciful,  the only wise God who always treats me better than I deserve. Him only will I Serve, and to him alone does my praise Rise!  Thank you Lord for always treating me better than I deserve! 

* The public power supplier in Nigeria

 

No comments:

Post a Comment