Friday 14 August 2015

Dear PMB-Open letter to PMB

Dear PMB,

I often pray for you because from my experience, ruling Nigerians is not easy. People can  agree with you, smiles on their faces whilst simultaneously plotting your down fall-much is to blame for this, but that’s a story for another day. Today, I decided to start writing you letters, because although I may not always agree with you, I know that things will be better for me if you succeed. I hope it helps. Two matters are on my mind as I write- your quest for probing corrupt persons and the 3 months ultimatum you’ve given the service chiefs on Boko Haram.

One of my favourite Bible stories is the woman caught in adultery- you may have heard of it. I often imagine the scene- an angry crowd, stones in hands, raised voices. The Pharisees are excited, let’s see what this Jesus would say now after all she was caught RED HANDED!! Waving the stick of the law they say:...our law says she should be stoned, what say you?” Let’s see him get away with this one! They sneer! If he said forgive- he’d be disobedient to the law, an apostate. Should he say stone her, he’d be cruel. Classic between the devil and the deep blue sea scenario.

Jesus’ answer was outside the box! “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!” The story ends with a bang- first the oldest (the ones with the largest opportunity for sin) then the least (those who often have a sense of self righteousness) all leave the woman UNSTONED, then Jesus says: Go and sin no more!!

Each time I hear of your desired corruption tribunal, I’m reminded of this story-excited at the possibility of disgracing some, I think we may have become carried away. Each of us with our stones are screaming, try him/her. Whilst I’m not claiming to be Jesus, I’d like to leave the mob and ask you a few questions sir: What is corruption? Is this the case when: I send my office assistant to buy something and he inflates the price? I’m supposed to resume at work at 9 but I start at 9.30 because of ‘traffic’ and leave at 4 because I have some ‘personal emergency?’ I choose A over B for a job because his/her father is my friend/s/ he comes from my tribe/ I'm sleeping with him/her ? I do my personal business or check personal mails during work hours? Dash government officials money to avoid paying official fees; pay my staff N 30k/per month (and owe them many months) yet I take my family on foreign trips (on first class of course). Bribe lecturers/cheat in exams/lie, etc.? Have girl/boy friends/ another wife without my wife’s knowledge?

I ask because according to Wikipedia ‘In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is the abuse of bestowed power or position to acquire a personal benefit.’ Hence my confusion about our seeming fixation with one form of corruption seeing as there are various forms and all forms have negative impact.

How far back will these trials go? I know you say you won’t witch hunt but to try only people who are guilty in one period is at best gross injustice! What kind of corruption trial will it be if it does not include, IBB? Umaru Diko? Obasanjo and  Uzo Kalu? What happens to culprits who are dead? Does death automatically absolve of guilt?

At the end of the trials, what will the average Nigerian get? I ask because I remember with nostalgia the furrow that went with our achieving debt forgiveness in the Obasanjo era. Sadly, only a few years on, we are back on the debtors list with little to show for it. In about 2 weeks, you would have been in office 90 days. Whilst I agree that you can’t be expected to work magic, I’m a bit concerned about the almost cult like posture assumed by your hounds fans whereby to question anything automatically labels one as your detractor. Elections are over! Criticism is a normal platform for growth, why is criticizing you so dangerous? And why does the APC secretary assume battle stance in reeling off your ‘achievements?’

Sir, I was barely 6 when you last came on the scene yet I remember the fear that pervaded the polity and the celebrations that arose with your departure. If memory serves me well, you were on a similar path prosecuting the looters of our national treasury. Sadly most Nigerians felt alienated from this process and they were quick to accept IBB’s promises even though they were probably for the worst!

As a student of history, I’ve learned that nations don’t become great looking at the past -this does not mean they ignore crimes. Rather, they focus on creating desirable futures through investments in quality education, positive national reorientation and building strong institutions. Sadly sir, this has not shone through. I know you are a man of integrity but are there others like you?

This brings me to the 3 months ultimatum you’ve given your military chiefs-terrorism is not a pure military situation, therefore, a pure military solution cannot bring resolution. I lived in the North for years, so I know that the most backward form of Islam is practiced there. You will need to find ways of introducing more progressive forms of Islam like what is practiced in Dubai-this is the only way to ensure a complete end. The military solution ignores the economic incentives for the continued war on book haram- increased allowances, loose funds, etc.

Finally, I just heard a famous saying of Socrates, I'm sure you'd like to hear it as it has a word you love so much CHANGE-
The Secret of Change Is to Focus All of Your Energy, Not on Fighting the Old, But on Building the New- So I guess my question is WHERE ARE YOUR ENERGIES FOCUSED SIR?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Concerned citizen of Nigeria,

Chinedu


No comments:

Post a Comment